Claydr MIDI Keyboard
CLAYDR works as a MIDI keyboard. It doesn’t produce any sound by itself.
The CLAYDR module is located in the System Modules list.
In the Conductr freemium version, you can only use one row in Claydr and one scale. You can purchase the PREMIUM CLAYDR MODULE to get 4 rows onscreen and 58 scales * (see Premium modules & Pack IN-APP Purchase).
HOW TO SET UP CLAYDR
In order to make CLAYDR work, first you have to follow this steps:
- Go to Preferences > MIDI Sync tab and make sure that the Track switch in the MIDI Ports section is set to ON in the MIDI input.
- Create a MIDI track in your Ableton Live set.
- Drag the instrument you want to control with Claydr from the Browser to the created MIDI track.
- Select the CONDUCTR MIDI input in the “MIDI from >All Ins” drop down menu.
- Enable your MIDI track Record button if you want to record what you play.
Select CONDUCTR in the “MIDI to” drop down menu to send MIDI messages from other controllers and use CLAYDR as a plug-in.
You can check the MIDI set up process in the official Ableton Live tutorial video series here:
PLAYING WITH CLAYDR
The CLAYDR interface features a complete 88-key piano-like keyboard at the top and 4 different rows, each one containing an octave.
Each row has its own color (cream, red, green and blue). Select the octave you want to play on each row by dragging the colored octave selector on the keyboard.
Each row can be configured individually on the top menu.
The top menu features 6 different parameters:
- ADD NOTE: Add up to 3 complementary notes to the one you play.
- VELOCITY: CLAYDR features 3 different Velocity Modes:
- Manual Mode (M): velocity varies depending on where you touch a key, from bottom (minimum) to top (maximum).
- Random Mode (R): each time you touch a key, velocity changes randomly
- Fixed Mode: select a fixed velocity in a 1 (minimum) to 10 (maximum) scale.
Select the velocity mode you wish on the Velocity Selector Button.
- SPREAD: Combined with the ADD NOTE feature, the SPREAD feature will spread your supplementary notes on higher and lower octaves. You can select how many octaves you want to spread the notes on with the Spread Selector Button.
- RANDOM: Combined with the ADD NOTE feature, the RANDOM feature generates random complementary notes of the same scale. You can select how many octaves you want to spread them with the Random Selector Button.
- HOLD: Add sustain to the notes you play.
- BEND: The only global feature on the top menu (it affects all rows). BEND allows you to play vibratos by simply moving your finger left and right on a key (at the corners, use up and down to avoid moving out of the ipad screen) .
More parameters can be set using the SHIFT mode:
- Select the kind of scale and chord you want to use.
- Use the KEY mode to see only each scale’s notes.
- Use the CHROMATIC mode to see the whole keyboard.
NOTE: You can also use CLAYDR to control any parameter on Ableton Live, just like you can with any other MIDI controller. To set it up, go to Preferences > MIDI Sync tab and make sure that the Remote switch in the MIDI Ports section is set to ON in the MIDI input.
* If you are a Full Premium Pack owner, you get CLAYDR for free.